Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Denis and First Dates


I've been asking people to send me their memories of the Denis. This one is from my friend, Todd DePastino. Todd is a historian and author of Bill Mauldin: A Life Up Front (W.W. Norton, 2008) and Citizen Hobo: How a Century of Homelessness Shaped America (University of Chicago Press, 2003). He is also a Mt. Lebanon resident. You can find out more about Todd and his work at billmauldinbiography.com.

"I don't have many memories of the Denis worthy of sharing. The theater had passed its golden age by the time I came around. But I do recall a first date that began at Bimbo's and ended at the Denis, where we had planned to see a comedy, Only When I Laugh. When we got there, the movie was sold out, so we ended up seeing Mommie Dearest, about Joan Crawford's abusive, alcohol-fueled parenting style . . . not really the best movie for a first date. But, on a happy note, I ended up marrying my date, Stephanie Ross, and we have since met each other's and our children's uses of wire hangers with tolerance and magnanimity."

Thanks, Todd. Anyone else out there who knows of a first date at the Denis that lead to such a happy outcome?

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics