Friday, September 19, 2008

Metacritic.com: helps prevent walk outs

Hey Gwyn! I with you on "Burn After Reading." It was one of the best films I've seen in a while! As for "The Women" and your story about having to walk out - I highly recommend metacritic.com, a website that gives you a composite score from a number of movies reviewers, critics from a variety of newspapers, magazines, and yes, even Rotten Tomatoes. I'm a numbers geek so I'm into this kinda stuff, whereas my wife would rather just go and take her chances. Metacritic isn't perfect because, let's face it, some critics just don't appreciate a good comedy like Burn After Reading. BAR only got a composite score of 62, which falls under the category "generally favorable reviews." The scoring system is usually good at telling you which movies, how should I say it, just suck. "The Women" got a score of 27, which is pretty freaking low.

Another cool thing about the site is that it lists the scores and reviews of the limited release / independent films that never seem to make it to the Pittsburgh market. We're hoping to change that when the Denis reopens!

3 comments:

Pat R said...

Brad Pitt can be so funny, as long as he's not taking himself too seriously... in any case, it's about time someone made good use of his habitually spastic arm movements

Gwyn Cready said...

I read an interview with the Coen brothers where they said they wrote each part with the actor who later played it in mind. Thus, we have a Clooney-like Clooney character, a Pitt-like Pitt character, and, of course, the most Malkovich-like Malkovich one could imagine, even including when he played himself in Being John Malkovich. Funny.

Gwyn Cready said...

Thanks for the heads up on metacritic.com, Chris. But knowing how much I like Meg Ryan, I probably would have gone (and dragged my poor husband) even if it had gotten a 0. For non-Meg Ryan movies, however, I'm sure it will be a very helpful resource.

Clicky Web Analytics