Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Elkhart's doing it, too.


Yes, it's been forever. Starting a new job, the holidays, quitting the new job, turning in the latest book. These things take time. But I'm back, and I promise to be a more faithful poster.

We were driving home from Chicago last weekend and stopped in Elkhart, Indiana for a lunch at Culvers. If you haven't ever eaten at a Culvers, which line the interstates of the Midwest, I highly recommend it. The burgers there are called Butterburgers, and if that's not enough to pique your interest, I don't know what would be.

In any case, I happened to pick up the local paper there and what do I find on the front page? The headline, "Work to Restore the Jewel of Main Street Has Begun." And that Jewel? You got it. Their vintage neighborhood theatre. Elkhart is transforming the Elco Theatre into the Elco Performing Arts Center and is paying for it with a $10.5 million bond issue. Interestingly, the city decided to buy the space next to the theatre to convert it into an add-on flexible events space, for proms, weddings, reunions, etc. As Elco Theatre Executive Director Ellie Billey says, "Arts offer quality of life, not profit. The flex space will offer the profit."

The plans for the Denis include space that can be rented for parties and events. I can already taste the punch...

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics