Thursday, August 21, 2008

Northern Minnesota...




Okay, it's been a couple weeks. My only excuse: I've been on vacation. First D.C. to see my son in his first job, then San Francisco for the romance writers convention, finally to northern Minnesota, land of my in-laws, where, indeed, it is actually like the movie Fargo. You betcha.

I spent a lot of time thinking about the Denis. Okay, I really didn't, but I did see two theatres that inspired me to think about it for a moment or two. First, in Fergus Falls, MN, there's a theatre with a beautiful old marquee called, what else, the Fergus. It now serves as an arts center for films, lectures and live performances. There was a play running while we were in town.

We also saw the old theatre in Fargo called, okay I know you can guess, the Fargo. This theatre is used a theatre for art films as well as first runs. The theatre went through a $2.6MM restoration in the late 1990s based on the original plans found in the archives of a Minneapolis architectural firm and includes recreated carpets, fountains and a Mighty Wurlitzer organ that rises from the stage on Saturdays for intermission music. You can read and see more here.

Anyhow, glad to be back and looking forward to seeing Vicky Christina Barcelona this weekend. Took me a long time after the Soon-Yi thing for me to even be able to think about seeing a Woody Allen movie again, but I have enjoyed the last couple.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gwyn:
What fabulous theaters. Imagine that some day people will be driving by the Denis and saying "Wow, look at that!". Next time you see or go to a new old theater, jot down notes about what you loved and what you hated. Do they have a flyer with their upcoming events? I want to see what everyone else is doing!

Thanks for the motivation.....

Clicky Web Analytics