Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Denis Foundation supporters attend the Three Rivers Film Festival Perimeter Party



Great party tonight at Molly Brannigans. More than a hundred of us were there for the Three Rivers Film Festival's perimeter party, a way to build awareness and excitement about the upcoming event. To be honest, I've never attended the Three Rivers Film Festival before, thought I am absolutely the kind of person who should have. I love film. I love documentaries. I love parties. I love being the coolest person in the room. And I love things that celebrate Pittsburgh.





We ("We" being Mt. Lebanon) were very lucky to have struck up a partnership with the great people at the Three Rivers Film Festival, something for which I must thank TRFF advisory board member, former Mt. Lebanonite, and all-round great person, Dawn Kosanovich.



The TRFF crew, led by Executive Director Andrew Swenson, set up screens at Molly Brannigan's showing clips from the movies in the festival, and Andrew gave a brief talk about why we should consider attending. There were drinks and appetizers and an information/gift bag for everyone who attended. In addition, the Denis Foundation had folks selling prints of the Denis and taking names for those who wanted to be on the mailing list.

TRFF only did three of these events--one in Edgewood, where the Regent Square Theatre is, one in Cleveland, who have their own film festival in March every year, and one in Mt. Lebanon.




This year for the first time, there will be a VIP kick-off party for festival. It's coupled with the premiere of Pittsburgh native David Conrad's documentary about Tamas Szilagyi, his teacher at Kiski School, whom he followed back to Szilagyi's native Hungary. A labor of love, the film, Tamas, ought to be great. I happen to be have fallen in love with David Conrad as an actor a little over ten years ago when I saw him at Pittsburgh Public Theatre in Tom Stoppard's incomparable Arcadia. I have high hopes I'll get to say hello to David at the party, which runs from 5:30 to 7:30 on November 7 at the Concept Art Gallery in Edgewood, followed by the film at 7:30 at the Regent Square Theatre next door.

Please consider attending the film festival. It's a great way to support cinema in Pittsburgh, and, who knows, the folks you meet there may be traipsing over to the Denis to help support our theatre when the restoration is complete. Find out more at
http://www.3rff.com/3rff_08/special_events.html.



Speaking of the Regent Square Theater, my husband, daughter and I hit Breakfast at Tiffany's there on Sunday night. Believe it or not, none of us had ever seen it before. Audrey Hephburn is wonderful to watch--and the clothes! Sigh. It was a pleasure to sit with my family, eating freshly popped popcorn and drinking hot tea and watching a classic film, something I hope we'll be able to do in Mt. Lebanon very soon.

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics