Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Pittsburgh 250






It was my joy on Saturday to take my daughter and her friend to the fireworks celebrating Pittsburgh's 250th birthday downtown. There were thousands and thousands of people there--we did not dare venture into Point State Park--and, for the first time in my memory, the lower level of the Fort Pitt Bridge was closed to traffic and open to pedestrians, and the streets near the downtown Hilton, while not technically closed to cars, were filled with so many watchers that cars couldn't get through. It was exciting and a little weird, with so many rules overturned. I overheard two different people in the crowd mention the movie, "Cloverfield."

The fireworks were magnificent. I heard differing reports: that they were the largest fireworks display ever in the region, that they the largest fireworks display ever in North America. All I can tell you is they were the largest fireworks display I have ever seen. With fireworks exploding over the Mon, in front of the Point and over the Allegheny, it was a panorama of fireworks, thrilling for a fan like me, and, if that weren't enough, there were fireworks exploding from the top of several buildings downtown as well.

Best of all, we just hopped on the T at the Mt. Lebanon station and zipped both in and out of downtown. Ah, what a joy for Mt. Lebanon that we have such a convenience. That, like the Denis, is one of the jewels of our town.

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics